Frugal Living Tips: Homemade Cleaning Solutions
Tile cleaner, counter cleaner, wood cleaner, sink cleaner, and more… most of us have at least one cabinet filled with cleaning supplies that we paid good money for. You can make your own frugal cleaning solutions that work just fine but cost a lot less than commercial cleaning solutions. Homemade cleaning solutions cost about one tenth the price of store bought cleaners, take up less room, and are healthier for you and your family!
These inexpensive, non-toxic items are all you need to keep your home clean and germ-free for a fraction of the cost:
• Baking soda – Cleans and deodorizes without leaving grit behind
• Washing soda
• White distilled vinegar – Mild acid that eats away water deposits and dirt
• Liquid detergent
• Tea tree oil – Great for killing all kinds of mold!
• Clean spray bottles
What Can I Make With These Ingredients?
1. Sink and tub cleaner. Half a cup of baking soda mixed with enough liquid detergent to make a paste is excellent for cleaning your tub. To wipe away stubborn water deposits, pour vinegar on them. If you have some build-up and the deposits don’t loosen immediately, let the vinegar sit for a while and repeat until the deposits loosen and wipe off.
2. Window cleaner. Mix together ½ teaspoon of liquid detergent, 3 tablespoons of vinegar, and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Use newspaper instead of a rag to clean with and your windows will come out sparkling and streak-free!
3. Oven cleaner. Unplug your oven and sprinkle a layer of water, then baking soda, then more water on the bottom of the oven. Let it sit overnight. In the morning, use a soapy sponge to wipe clean.
4. All purpose spray cleaner. Mix together a drop of liquid soap, ½ teaspoon of washing soda and 2 cups of hot water in a spray bottle. This solution is great for everyday cleaning of counters, stove tops, microwaves, and more. It will cut grease and leave surfaces shining.
These aren’t the only frugal cleaning solutions you can make with these products. Experiment with your own concoctions and save money while you enjoy a sparkling home!