Frugal Family Fun Tips
Frugal family fun is easy to find. Enjoying an outing doesn’t need to cost a lot of money. Below I list several ideas for frugal outing for the family. Pick one, or even all of them, and enjoy.
1. Be patient and wait to see new movies on video. Some communities even offer free video rentals at local libraries and will order new movies if library patrons request a certain title.
2. Check to see if there are any discount movie theaters in your area. Most of these places show movies just before they’re released to video. A family of four can go out for an evening at the movies and spend less than five dollars for a fun family outing. Keep a list of movies you want to see, and then check the discount theater listings each week. These theaters often keep the movies for just one or two weeks, so stay alert to what’s playing.
3. Go to the first show of the day at first-run theaters for the best prices (and shortest lines!).
4. Check your area for free days at museums, zoos, etc.
5. Check for free concerts, plays, and other live family entertainment in local parks.
6. Call and find out if your local college stage production group, ballet or orchestra will let you watch them rehearse for free.
7. If you want to eat at an expensive restaurant, go for lunch rather than dinner. The menu is usually the same, but the prices are often half.
8. When dining out, drink water only. Ask for a lemon or lime wedge if you want to make your drink seem special. This trick can easily cut $10 off your family’s total dining bill, which could mean the difference between going out for a fun meal or staying home eating frozen egg rolls again.
9. Go fly a kite. Literally!